Monday 21 March 2016

World Down Syndrome Day


Monday 21 March 2016 marks the 11th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day.


Cath Regan



One of the tests I had whilst pregnant some years ago, showed that our baby was probably going to be born with Down Syndrome. After receiving the results I was advised there and then to have a termination. 

I went to the library and read EVERYTHING I could find. My husband and I spoke to our other children and we all agreed as a family that termination was something which was definitely NOT an option and no 'professional' would tell me otherwise.

I put the whole issue out of my mind, excitedly preparing for my daughter's birth, until the moment she was born and placed in my arms. No condition she had or didn't have could have stopped the love we felt for her. 

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." 
Scott Hamilton 




She doesn't have Down Syndrome as it happens, but she feels very close to the anniversary today. I do wonder though how many beautiful children (with or without Down Syndrome) would be here today if their mother had not been as strong and gone 'against the system'.








Cath Regan blog pages

Pine Pixies Pre-School


No comments:

Post a Comment